The Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority assists Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher participants with applying for the following scholarship programs:
- Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority Education Foundation Scholarship
- E.L. Hamm and Associates, Inc. Scholarship
- Virginia Association of Housing and Community Development Officials (VAHCDO) Scholarship
- Public Housing Authorities Directors Association Scholarships
- Housing Authority Insurance (HAI) Group Resident Scholarship
- National Affordable Housing Management Association (NAHMA) Education Foundation Scholarship
For further information or questions regarding scholarships, please contact:
PRHA Education Foundation Scholarship Committee
(757) 391-2965 | firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 PRHA Education Foundation, VAHCDO, and E.L. Hamm Scholarship Recipients
PRHA EDUCATION FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
The purpose of the PRHA Education Foundation Scholarship Program is to provide scholarships to deserving PRHA public/assisted housing and housing choice voucher participants. Scholarships may be used to pursue a course of study at a college/university, trade school, apprenticeship program, or vocational education institution. Those awarded will receive up to $1,500.
Scholarship Deadline: Friday, April 2, 2021, at 5:00 PM. NO EXCEPTIONS. Applications received after this date & time will not be considered.
All supporting documents must be turned in when submitting the application. Applications will not be accepted piece by piece. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- If there are any questions that do not apply to you, please write N/A in that space.
- Applicants will be required to do an interview.
- Notifications of awards will be mailed by the end of May 2021.
- Funds are to be utilized beginning Fall 2021
- The PRHA Education Foundation Scholarship Committee will select the scholarship recipients.
- Scholarship funds will be forwarded directly to the school.
- Recipients of the awards must attend an accredited university, college, vocational, technical, or graduate school.
- If the student maintains a minimum of 2.4 cumulative GPA, they are eligible to re-apply for the PRHA Scholarship. Recipients will be eligible to receive up to four scholarships.
- Refer to the criteria below for eligibility requirements.
- Applicant must reside at a PRHA property, or be a recipient of a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher for at least the past 6 months.
- Applicant must be a graduating high school senior or a continuing education adult student.
- Applicant must be in good standing with PRHA if listed as the head or co-head of the household.
- Applicant must demonstrate a positive impact, involvement, and significant success in scholarship and community engagement
Applicants must submit the following items:
- Applicants must complete the application form online.
- Applicants must write a letter addressed to the Scholarship Committee detailing their biographical information and career goals.
- New applicants must submit two letters of recommendation. Letters may be from any choice of high school teachers, administrators, counselors, employers, or community leaders with significant knowledge of the applicant’s experience and involvement.
- Applicant must contact their PRHA Property Manager or Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program Coordinator to fill out a proof of residency form. Managers will already have a copy of the form. Have the manager submit it directly to email@example.com by the application close date. It is advised to email the appropriate housing manager and carbon copy (CC) the PRHA Scholarship email account when contacting the manager to ensure a request for proof of residency has been made. A list of all housing managers and their contact information is provided below. Your application will be viewed as incomplete without the proof of residency form
- Applicant must submit a transcript:
- A recent high school transcript with cumulative grade point average, your class standing/rank, or proof of GED. Applicants may provide a copy of their diploma if it has been more than 5 years since their graduation.
- A recent college transcript or transcript from a training program for currently enrolled students.
- Applicant must provide proof of college/program acceptance or current enrollment.
- A copy of a college/program acceptance letter.
- New applicants must write a personal essay. In your essay please answer the following question: If you could design a college curriculum, what would it be, and why? Returning applicants are not required to write a personal essay.
Property Manager/Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program Coordinator Contact Information