Protecting Your Voucher


Protect Your Voucher

 The Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority (PRHA) provides you with rental assistance through the Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCV).  This assistance enables you to provide a safe and decent home for your family.  Your voucher is valuable to you and your family, and there are certain things that could cause you to lose it. We want to help you to avoid these things.  Please read this reminder carefully and make sure that you protect your voucher. 

 The rules for the program are simple.

  • Take care of your housing unit; don’t damage it, and report maintenance problems to your landlord.
  • Pay your share of the rent on time every month.  If you get evicted you will lose your voucher.
  • Pay your utility bills timely, failure to maintain utility services may result in the termination of your voucher.
  • When an inspection is scheduled for you, please ensure that you or someone at least 18 years of age is available to permit access to the unit.
  • When an interview or review appointment is scheduled for you, please show up on time.  If we request that you provide documents, please bring them with you to your appointment.
  • Always provide true and complete information at an interview and on your Personal Declaration form.
  • Do not permit someone to move into your housing unit without approval from the Portsmouth Redevelopment & Housing Authority.
  • Make sure that no family member gets involved in drug-related or violent criminal activity.

 Notify your caseworker in writing within thirty (30) days of the occurrence if any of the following things occur:

  • The birth, adoption or court-awarded custody of a child.
  • Anyone moves out of your housing unit.
  • Anyone in the family begins to receive income or has an increase in their current income regardless of the source/type,(this includes direct paid child support/or items purchased for the child)
  • Anyone in the family loses their income.

 Make sure that you review the family obligations provided on your voucher and the Family Obligations form.  If someone outside of this agency gives you advice that may affect your housing assistance and you are not sure if it violates a program rule, call your caseworker and ask. We will always give you the correct information about the program. Please protect your voucher.

 If you or anyone in your family is a person with disabilities, and you require a specific accommodation in order to fully utilize our programs and services, please contact our office at 757-399-5261.