Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (“CARES Act”)
Click to review the official HUD flyer addressed to tenants as an additional resource on the Temporary Moratorium on Eviction Filings signed into law on March 27, 2020, by the president under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (“CARES Act”).
For Immediate Release
Contact: Edward Bland, Executive Director (757) 399-5261 (Office) (757) 235-1391 (Cell)
Date: Wednesday, March 18, 2020
PRHA OPERATIONS DURING COVID-19 (CORONAVIRUS) OUTBREAK
Due to concerns regarding the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Monday, March 23, 2020, Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority (PRHA) will be observing limited operations until further notice. This decision was not made lightly, but rather, with careful consideration of the advice of public health officials, as well as the safety of our housing program participants, our staff, and the public.
All PRHA administrative buildings, including 3116 South Street and ALL public housing property management offices, are CLOSED TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC except by appointment. During this time, PRHA employees will be reporting to their worksite. Because of this limitation, members of the public are encouraged to contact PRHA staff members by email when possible. A directory with all PRHA staff members’ email contact information is available here.
Following is some additional guidance regarding the operations of specific PRHA programs and departments:
- Tenant selection for low-income public housing (“ LIPH” ) and Housing Choice Voucher (“ HCV” ) programs PRHA’s Occupancy and HCV Department will continue all activities related to tenant intake, eligibility screening, and placement for our LIPH and HCV programs. If you are on the waitlist for a voucher or a public housing unit, we will continue to process your application as normal. However, all activities will be conducted electronically or by mail whenever possible. If you have an upcoming appointment for admissions to PRHA’s LIPH or HCV programs, your caseworker will contact you by phone, email, or regular mail with further instructions. If you do not have a caseworker, call (757) 399-5261. DO NOT report to 3116 South Street in person unless instructed to do so by PRHA staff.
- Low-income public housing All LIPH property management offices are CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC until further notice. DO NOT report to your management office in person unless instructed to do so by management staff.
If you are a LIPH resident with a management issue, call your property management office by phone or email to schedule an appointment. (Contact information for PRHA’s public housing management offices can be more found here.) If you are experiencing a maintenance issue in your unit, PRHA’s maintenance division are operating with skeleton crews and only responding to emergency maintenance requests. For emergency maintenance requests, during normal business hours (Monday-Friday 8:30-5:00PM) please call your management office.
- Dale Homes Management Office: (757) 391-3051
- Swanson Homes Management Office: (757) 391-3046
- Westbury/Hope Village Management Office ( 757) 391-2970
- Phoebus Square/King Square Management Office: (757) 391-2971
- Seaboard Square Management Office: (757) 391-2981
- Hamilton Place Management Office: ( 757) 391-2918
- After hours, weekends and holidays, please call (757) 875-9262
All annual (regular) income re-certification in-person appointments in the LIPH program are CANCELLED until further notice. If you are a current public housing resident who is scheduled for an upcoming re-certification appointment, your property manager will contact you with further instructions.
If you need to report a decrease in your income, your property manager will schedule an interim re- certification BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Contact your management office for assistance.
PRHA WILL NOT undertake any lease terminations or other lease enforcement activities for nonpayment of rent or other charges until May 1, 2020. PRHA WILL NOT charge penalties for late payments in the months of March or April, 2020. However, tenants are STRONGLY encouraged to continue regular payments to avoid legal action when normal operations resume.
- Housing Choice Voucher program PRHA’s HCVP offices are CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC until further notice, except by appointment. However, all HCV program activities are expected to continue as normal. PRHA will make all Housing Assistance Payments (“HAP”) to landlords as scheduled. PRHA will make all utility reimbursement payments to qualifying HCVP participants as scheduled.
Annual and interim re-certification appointments) will be conducted electronically or by email whenever possible. If you are a HCVP participant scheduled for an upcoming meeting at PRHA’s 3116 South Street location, your caseworker will contact you by email, phone, or regular mail with alternative arrangements. DO NOT report to 3116 South Street unless instructed to do so by your caseworker.
Until further notice, PRHA will conduct Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspections ONLY for new HCVP tenancies, moves for existing voucher-holders, and for complaints from existing voucher- holders. All annual HQS inspections NOT for those reasons are postponed until further notice.
For Further information and resources on the COVID-19 virus please see below.
Virginia Department of Health (VDH)- www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus
Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)- https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html
World Health Organization (WHO)- https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019